Life Lessons From A Polka Dot Sweater

| |





Sweater: J. Crew
Jeans: Rich & Skinny (Nordstrom)
Shoes: BCBG Max Azria
Necklace: ModCloth
Bracelet: Marc by Marc Jacobs
Bag: See by Chloe (a gift)
Sunglasses: H&M (a gift)

I bought this sweater a few weeks ago and for some reason it’s taken me a while to get around to wearing it. While I’m as smitten with it now as I was when I bought it, I had a very specific idea of how I wanted to wear it. Of course, I tried to realize that vision a few times, but there was always something that just wasn’t right. So rather than waiting around for the perfect outfit, I decided to just wear the damn sweater and in the first way that came to mind – with boyfriend jeans. Even though I liked the outfit, I stood in front of the mirror (for longer than I care to admit), trying to figure out what I could do to make myself like it a little more. I came up short but would not allow myself to change. Was it the outfit of my dreams? No. But the next time might be. And you know what? That’s real life: adjusting expectations, rolling with whatever comes one’s way, and trying for something better next time. And, I’m sure some of you are sitting there, rolling your eyes, wondering if I really just compared the trials and tribulations of life to a polka dot sweater. Yes, I really did. Sometimes there’s a life lesson in even the silliest of things…like a pink polka dot sweater. And for someone who strives for perfection and often beats herself up for not achieving it, I constantly need to remind myself that perfection is rarely achieved on the first try, and that’s okay. There's always next time.

5 comments:

cait & val said...

OMG OMG we 100% agree. our expectations for the perfect look with a new item of clothing are always way to high!!! so that fact you stuck to your guns and left the house in this outfit . . . bravo. we love it, so you did good :)

love this post!!!

xo. c & v
cake & valley

A Stylized Hysteria said...

Dude, I wish I got the same epiphany from my clothes. So often I imagine an outfit in my head and the reality falls short and I get all bummed over it. I should learn to roll with the (polka-dotted) punches. I think you look very cute, btw.

Angie said...

Not gonna lie, I just got a polka dot sweater from Poshmark and it was totally inspired by you. I think that this look is totally you and that you pulled it off perfectly...even if you be trippin.

mousevox vintage said...

There's a lesson in everything, if you ask me. I'm the worst about buying a garment and very specifically knowing how I want to wear it, then feeling defeated/disappointed when it doesn't work out according to my vision. If that doesn't say, "roll with the punches", I don't know what does!

Citizen Rosebud said...

We have matching bangles! Of course, mine's thrifted vintage but still.. I'M JUST LIKE SANTINA!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...