On Dressing For Myself

| |





Jacket: Zara
Shirt: Sparrow (Urban Outfitters)
Pants: Elevenses (Anthropologie)
Shoes: Pour La Victoire (a gift)
Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs (a gift)
Necklace: Monserat de Lucca (ModCloth)
Bracelets: Marc by Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors (Nordstrom)
Watch: Michael Kors (Nordstrom)

When it comes to getting dressed, I'm very much a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl. I rarely plan outfits, and when it comes to packing, I always throw in a few too many options. But there are times when I really wish that I wasn't such an emotional dresser and could just plan an outfit, wake up, and put it on without any thought. The day these photos were taken was definitely one of those days. I spent way too much time playing dress up, building a pile of beautiful clothes that I decided just weren't right for that day...but why? I had pulled out some of my favorites and still wasn't happy. And then it hit me: it was my after work plans, a blog event. Laugh; go on. I would, too. A blogger paralyzed with fear of her own kind? The irony doesn't escape me, but it also doesn't make it any less true. Don't get it twisted - I love my blog friends. Love them. But sometimes events packed with gorgeous, well-dressed, intelligent women can cause all of my insecurities to bubble to the surface. So, I looked myself in the mirror, said, "fuck it", and got a grip. Who was I trying to impress? What I wear has always been about me - how I feel, how I want to feel. And so I got dressed...for me. And you know what? Not only did I feel confident and totally me but I also snagged a few compliments from a bunch of those lovely ladies!

11 comments:

T. said...

I've seen floral printed pants on many blogs but you make them look different with the shirt and your hair! Great look!

Tanvi said...

Love Love Love the look! 
∞ © tanvii.com ∞ 

sartorialsidelines said...

Well, if I saw you at a blog even in this this I would be blown away. That jacket is wonderful.

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

Frannie Pantz said...

Go girl!  I love this post!  It is always better to think, dress and live for yourself than anyone else.  I've never been to a blogger event (no one in Colorado is hip to this apparently . . . I think I am the only style blogger here actually), but I would go through these same steps.  Those steps being panic, insecure dismay that my clothes weren't "good enough", realization that I didn't care and throwing on what I want. 

Adiel said...

Hear, hear! You DID look ahhmazing in this ensemble! xx

Allergictovanilla said...

I for one LOVE this blend- you know I have a thing for mixing prints! ;) And yes it happens to all of us, myself included....umm- especially at blogger events. Ha!!

x carlina
allergictovanilla.com

A Stylized Hysteria said...

This happens so damn often to me. I mean, if you're going to an event specifically for women who have a reputation for dressing well, it totally makes sense to want to impress. The real irony is that once you let go of that thought and wear what makes you happy, people end up loving it anyway! If only we could remember that every time.

love this outfit, btw!

kim m. said...

i love this post santina. you're so right -- you can start to put pressure on yourself instead of realizing what makes you awesome and amazing and unique (which you are...in spades!)

Catie said...

This is one of my all time faves, no joke! (I mean outfit and text). <3

Lauren (bangbylo) said...

I totally understand what you mean about over judging myself on outfits for events like that! It's all about dressing for ourselves. 

In a city where most people don't get dressed up or really understand my sense of style, I'm always a little worried about going out wearing what I want. But, it is a great feeling to wear what you want and be confident! Something I can absolutely relate to on a daily basis! 

Lauren

Maria said...

Obsessed with you and obsessed with this post. You're so right! There's a lot going on in our "blogger world" and sometimes we have to just stare at ourselves in the mirror and remember to be true to ourselves. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...