You Asked, I Answered: Part 3

| |

Would you have moved alone if you didn’t have the boyfriend there for support? 

Hmmm, that’s a tough one. I’ve been with my boyfriend for so long that it’s hard to imagine making life decisions without him. I can't say whether I would have moved specifically to Mexico, but I’d like to think that I still would have experienced life in another country. I definitely have the travel bug and it just so happens that I’m fortunate to have a partner who not only shares my love of travel but is also my perfect travel companion.

How and how much did you pare down your closet?

It was with a heavy heart that I packed up at least 95% of my closet. It took way longer than it should have because I stopped to take a trip down Memory Lane with every other piece I packed. To avoid emotional decisions, I stuck to the following criteria:

Anything requiring dry cleaning was out. There is no dry cleaner in town. If I don’t want something to be washed in cold water with heavily perfumed detergent, then I’m doing it by hand.

If I would be heart broken if something happened to it, I safely tucked it away in storage. Given that our (first) house was broken into a few weeks after we moved here, this was even wiser than I realized at the time. (Of course, I didn’t fully stick with this one and my heart was definitely broken when my Marc watch necklace as stolen.)

When it came to shoes, heels were out. Having visited Sayulita a few times before, I knew it wasn’t a heel friendly town. Not only is it really casual, but also cobblestone and sand, combined with bad ankles, are a recipe for disaster. I allowed myself two pairs of wedges, and I’ve maybe worn each pair twice. 

What line of work are you in?

I’ll admit that I deliberately delayed answering this one because I knew the time when I’d have to remind myself of the 9-to-5 life was just around the corner. But, having spent the last week or so updating and streamlining my resume, the job search begins! Aside from the six months spent teaching English in Taiwan, my entire career has been in the energy efficiency industry, starting out in program implementation before moving into Information Technology. As for what I want to do when I settle in San Francisco, I really don’t know! My job search is all over the place, from fashion to software development to energy efficiency. It will be interesting to see where I land!

What's the one item you're most looking forward to reuniting with?

Hands down, my shoes.

What is the one thing you will miss most about Sayulita?

There are many things I’ll miss about Sayulita but I think it’s the carefree beach lifestyle that I’ll miss most. I’m convinced that everyone’s happier at the beach; even dogs seem to be perpetually smiling while running around in the sand. From growing up in Rhode Island to island hopping in Southeast Asia, some of the best memories I have are from time spent at a beach. I’ll always look back on this time fondly; my days are free of responsibility and months silently slip away in a blur of happy days spent in the sun with my love.


And that, friends, is the last of the questions I received. Thank you so much for your interest in my time in Mexico! 

(In case you missed them, here are parts one and two of You Asked, I Answered.)

14 comments:

Tanvi said...

I do not know how you parted with your shoes for so long ... but on side note, I know EXACTLY how you feel about someone breaking into your home and stealing your priced possessions. It still breaks my heart! I hope you are able to find what you are looking for ...

Have a good weekend! :) ♡ from © tanvii.com

A Stylized Hysteria said...

Man, you're going to have the most lovely homecoming when you pick up all your stuff in storage! I'm excited for you!

Grit and Glamour said...

Thanks for sharing more...I think one of those questions was mine! Good things are coming for you, I just know it.

modanista junkie said...

Great answers, and love getting to know my blogger friends!!! Ugh, I too would miss all my shoes if I were in Mexico!!!

Happy Friday!!

xoxo,
melrod

Citizen Rosebud said...

wait, wait wait! YOU are moving to San Fran. SF that is only an hour and a half drive from Sacramento. GET OUT! We will meet, my dear Santina, we WILL meet!

Santina said...

Ha ha. Thanks for the sympathy, Tanvi! Saying goodbye to my shoes was harder than most could understand!

Santina said...

I know! I think I'll end up sitting in my closet for days getting reacquainted with everything!

Santina said...

Aw, thanks,V! (And yes, one of those was yours!)

Vanessa said...

I truly believe the beach is just a happier place. Ohio may be miserable but when I lived near the lake it was an amazing experience. Now the winter was another story. I have never felt such bitter winds then from the lake.

Frances Joy said...

Everyone IS happier at the beach. I"m pretty sure that's an established fact. Thanks for answering all these questions!

Archives said...

i love learning more about you, Santina! will you be posting a tour of your home in mexico? i'd love to see where youve been spending your days! :)

Ashley said...

I'm so glad you did this post, I so wanted to know all of these things... I'm also really glad you blogged thru your vacation-life in Mexico. I remember reading your announcement and being like WHOA and then being like wahhhh she's prob not gonna blog anymore! But I'm so glad I was wrong, and that you stuck it out through the tribulations of the first month in Mexico. Now, find a job and move back to the states so we can meet and be friends! k, thanks!

xo, Ashley

Sweetlaundry said...

Oh, you're in Sayulita! I was wondering where in Mexico you were exactly. LG (the bf) spent 3 months in Sayulita surfing and living the beach lifestyle a few years back. I'll have to tell him about your blog and your story, he might like to check out some of your photos. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa :)

Jack Zhang said...

The picture is beautiful!I like it very much.welcome to true religion uk!all products of true religion jeans are discount sell,Save 40%-65% OFF,welcome to choose and buy religion jeans.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...