You Asked, I Answered: Part 2

| |

How did your style change/adapt to life in Mexico?

My style changed quite drastically when I moved to Mexico. If you go through my archives, you’ll notice a few prominent elements that are now completely absent from my wardrobe: towering heels, fabulous bags, high maintenance hair, and very little repetition. My beach style is nothing if not casual, and I think I’ve also adopted a softer color palette, eschewing my go-to neutral, black, in favor of navy, gray and white. For me, life in a city is one of frequent shopping, but since moving I’ve only shopped once (and it was on my visa run to Portland) making it nearly impossible to incorporate new trends into my looks. Working with a limited, somewhat stale wardrobe has certainly been a challenge.

In a bigger sense, life in Mexico (and my travel experience in general) has taught me that sometimes it’s best to blend in. My transition to a less flashy, more minimal look has been a deliberate one. I came here for a new experience, a life in a small beach town in Mexico. No one else is parading around town in designer dresses and handbags, so why would I? Aside from screaming “I’m rich, come rob me!” it just seems so ostentatious…to the point of almost being tacky, in my opinion.


What's making you move back now?

There really isn’t any one thing that’s forcing my return to the States. When I moved to Mexico, I knew it would only be for anywhere between six to nine months. By the end, almost all of the money allotted for this break will have been spent and it’ll be time to replenish the funds.

How does the visa situation work out?

I came to Mexico under the impression that it was possible to extend the six-month tourist visa granted to US citizens upon landing. As the end of those six months approached, I began looking into the requirements for an extension only to find that it is impossible. The only option was to leave the country for seventy-two hours and be issued another six-month visa when I re-entered. While I didn’t plan for the expense, I can’t say that I didn’t enjoy my visa run. I spent a long weekend back in Portland, hanging out with good friends…and freezing my butt off!


Were you scared to peace out on your career?

My fear of leaving behind the security of a job (even one I hated) paralyzed me for longer than I’d like to admit. Like many others, I stayed in a job that made me unhappy for way too long. While I wanted a new job, I just didn’t have a job search in me, especially after a long day of work, followed by the gym, followed by…you get the point. I felt burnt out and started to think that quitting without another job in hand (something I always swore I’d never do) would be the only way I’d have time to really look for something better. Just around that time, my boyfriend and I decided to move to Mexico, leaving me with one option: to suck it up. So, when the time came to finally peace out on my job, I felt a huge sense of relief. 

Now that it’s time to look for jobs, I’m definitely conscious of the way some prospective employers may perceive my winter in Mexico. I’m also aware that it’s often much easier to find a job in the city in which one resides. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous, but, I took a chance and I definitely don’t regret it.

(Missed part one? Check it out here. Have a question for me? Leave it as a comment to this post or email me at stylebysantina@gmail.com!)

30 comments:

Leah said...

I think you took the risk that many people (like me) wish they could do. I have a great job and a busy social life, but there seems to be that void that needs to be filled with some adventure. Hope your move back goes smoothly and you find the perfect job!
Love the beachy laid back look you've got going on.

xo L.

Anna Jane said...

i still think you're the bravest person ever for packing up and heading south. that takes guts and i seriously hope that one day i will be able to do something as brave. you're my hero! :)

Becca said...

I love how you collaged together your Mexico vs. Portland outfits. For whatever reason, I hadn;t thought your style changed too much. Or esle, I have a memory like an elephant. But seeing the pictures side by side - you're right!! A lot more casual, but that's not a bad thing. I can't imagine the locals would take too kindly to the gringa in the platform heels.

steffy said...

aw this is cute! i just found you and i love your hair cut!


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Fashnlvr said...

Hey! Loved reading this! How very brave of you to just get up and go! I just wrote a post last week about work and ending a job and deciding how to spend the rest of my life.
I read your part one and then came back to comment here: like G&G I a, curious to know what line of work you are in or want to be in. I am trying to decide this for myself too.
Loved reading about your Mexican adventure - it sounds like the perfect break from "the world"

Fashnlvr said...

BTW - I just became your 30th follower!!

Ladyofashion said...

I totally understand! I quite my unhappy corporate job about 2 years ago. I think happiness is most important, having a goal and staying focused on what you want to do next. What a courageous thing for you to do! Breaking out norm with change can be uneasy, but I think it's having that positive perspective of change that affects our future greatly. Wishing you the very best! -xxoo

Frances Joy said...

Digging the collage. There are definitely some changes there.

Santina said...

Ahhh, thank you so much! I was stuck in the twenties for too long!

Santina said...

Do you remember me walking around Portland barefoot, Becca? :)

Santina said...

Thanks so much, Anna! I really appreciate your kind words...I think you're giving more credit than I deserve. It wasn't THAT hard to live on a beach these past few months!

Santina said...

Thanks for commenting, Leah! Fingers crossed for a smooth return to life in the US!

Eli said...

You are so brave! Moving is already a difficult thing, let alone to another country!

Upon moving to SF I found myself in a similar wardrobe warp where my heels and fancy clothes kind of rendered useless. I spend most of my time working and hanging out. So I have my work clothes and everyone pretty much dresses so relaxed, very vintage - I love it! I not expect to be in so much rainy or cold weather wear, so it took a while to adjust to that!

erika sheffer said...

Love, love, love this post. I like the City/Sand photos. I am such a sand girl so naturally, I've fallen in love with your barefoot looks.

I am in search of a job too (like you know from Twitter.. hehe) and I am trying not to freak out. Easier said than done!

Xo,
Erika

Vanessa said...

I love both your styles. I can't wait to see some of the clothes you have in storage. I totally get wanting to say peace out to your job, I'm very lucky to have a slow season at work or I would have done that a long time ago.

Ashley said...

I would not have followed you/wanted to befriend you (in blog-life or in real life) if you walked around Portland barefoot. Homeless chic taken too far.

Ashley said...

I agree with Anna re: your bravery. Even though you may not see it, I certainly do. I'm still so in awe of you for this whole adventure and I look forward to following along as you transition back to city life. I know I never emailed you...I'm still working on it, it's so hard to put all my random invasive questions into a nice email for you, haha.

Lynzy said...

Hi girlfreeeeen, I got the rings at H&M and Forever 21!! Super cheap and adorable options right now! :)

Ruby Girl said...

i love all of the looks featured in this post. you have great taste, girl. <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

jentine said...

I am constantly struck by how different you look in city life versus beach life. It's not just your clothes, heels and hair... it's your face too. You look relaxed...
I am curious to see how things will change again when you move back. You are an interesting one Santina (yes, I get a kick that your name rhymes with mine...).

Tanvi said...

This was such a nice post! Loved hearing about your transition ...

Click here to Win a Dress
♡ from © tanvii.com

Santina said...

Hee hee - I've thought about that (our rhyming names) before, too!

It's funny you mention how relaxed I look here. Most of my outfit photos from Portland were snapped during or right after work. Perhaps my frustration with staying in a job I despised came through more than I thought. You'll have to let me know how my transition to life in San Francisco reads in photos!

Santina said...

Thanks!

Santina said...

Thanks, Ashley! The difference in how I perceive myself versus how others perceive me always fascinates (and sometimes disturbs) me! Maybe you should just save the questions for a visit to SF? I'd be happy to answer them IN PERSON! (Can you tell I'm excited to meet you?)

Santina said...

I can't wait to show you my clothes that are in storage, Vanessa!

Santina said...

Thanks, Erika! I think some of us are just born beach girls...it sounds like you might be one, too!

Good luck with the job search! I'm trying not to think about mine too much!

Santina said...

Waaaay too far!

Santina said...

Thanks for the thoughtful comment! It's interesting that you mention a "positive perspective of change". In a recent conversation with a tourist from San Francisco, I mentioned my fear of how prospective employers may view this break. She said that she thinks people who take breaks like mine return to the working world with a refreshed and confident attitude, much more so than those who are beaten down by the 9-to-5 world and looking for a new job. I sure hope she's right!

Ashley said...

I'm so excited to meet you!!! Becca keeps pestering me to book my tickets, I really need to get on that instead of just saying, "Whoaaaaa there, easy Bruno." Which is probably not the BEST way to plan this vacation...whoops. BUT, I will come. And I will meet you. And hopefully not frighten you with my exuberance.

Agnes Faith said...

Awesome share. Folks fashion adopting according what environment they were stay. May I share eCommerce Los Angeles  for web and blogging development matters. Glad to stopped by and share appreciation of recognition.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...