Week in Photos: Lucha Libre

| |





About a week ago, I attended my first Mexican wrestling match. The night was everything I expected: full of well rehearsed moves, hilarious theatrics, and cold cans of Modelo. It was also a night of surprises. Firstly, there was a lot of slapping, and I mean full on bitch slaps that never ceased to send me into hysterics. Then there was the final match, which commenced with the headlining wrestler entering the ring, carrying a box of 3-foot fluorescent tube lights. But, most surprising of all had to be the dancing.



(I apologize for the shakiness of this video. In my defense, it wasn’t easy to hold the camera in one hand and a Modelo in the other, while balancing a bag of popcorn covered in hot sauce in my lap.)

16 comments:

Grit and Glamour said...

Oh. My. God. That is hysterical! Part wrestling, part strip show. Lord.

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

that looks like fun! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

steffy said...

haha that looks intense, but like such a good time!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

solstone said...

Ha-hah! That is awesome.

Kaylynd said...

hahahaha! I expected him to start ripping his speedo off any minute. What a weird show

Archives said...

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! zomg i LOVE it. hahahahaha!

Annebethbels said...

haha I totally want to go to a mexican wrestling match now! :D

Vanessa said...

Omg haha. This is so great! I'm moving there right now just for this.

Tanvi said...

Hahaha! That looks a little scary and a little funny! :P

♡ from © tanvii.com

Citizen Rosebud said...

Santina this is so bitchin'! I literally LOL'd.

A Stylized Hysteria said...

I am. SO JEALOUS. I'm amazed you didn't spit beer seeing that dancing in real life!

Santina said...

Happy you liked it!

Santina said...

Agreed! I was not prepared for that!

Morgan_Lua said...

WTF.
Do I laugh or cry after watching that video. My emotions are so confused right now.


So all of this + popcorn + hot sauce + beer = One amazing Mexican night

Emily said...

HA! I just watched this. Is he a part time stripper when he isnt wrestling? wowza!
I wish you were in mexico longer so i could take a vacation and visit you (and see this guy's moooooooooves) :)
p.s. my hair does NOT look good growing out haha. but thank you. I think yours looks good right now though! why is haircutting not free i ask you!

Natalie Garza said...

I saw a Lucha Libre when I was in Cuernavaca, Mexico a few years ago. It was AWESOME! I have a strange desire to see another one after seeing your photos and the video...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...