In a Sliver Of Sun

| |




March 14, 2011

Shirt: H&M (borrowed from the boyfriend)
Shorts: Gap
Belt: Forever 21
Shoes: Merona (Target)
Bag: H&M (San Francisco)
Sunglasses: Ray Ban (borrowed from the boyfriend)

I had every intention of snapping outfit photos during an afternoon outing for lunch, but those plans were slightly foiled when I realized I had forgotten the camera. Funny thing is that since moving to the beach, I rarely wear a purse, but I actually wore this one to carry the camera in. Without the camera, it was quite empty…so empty, one might think I would have realized that something was missing. By the time I got back to the house, a food coma was quickly approaching and I knew that if the photos didn’t happen immediately, they weren’t going to, so I snapped a few just outside my house right before the shade engulfed what little yard was left in sunshine.

Truth be told, I’m still struggling with a skin issue and still feeling self-conscious about showing too much skin. That being said, March has brought much warmer temperatures, and I’ve grown tired of hiding behind layers of clothes while everyone else in town is in barely there outfits. That combined with a new realization that I am not the only person in town afflicted with this skin issue (welcome to life in the tropics!) gave me a sense of empowerment. If all these other people didn’t care about putting their imperfections on display, why did I? I boldly pulled out this pair of shorts and threw them on with confidence, which wavered slightly when I glanced in the mirror. Not quite ready to accept defeat and reach for my boyfriend jeans, I tried unrolling these normally cuffed shorts and surprisingly felt more comfortable with an inch or two more of coverage. The boyish fit of the shorts inspired me to borrow from my favorite man, and the colors of this shirt were a perfect match. The boxy shape of the shirt paired with the baggy shorts created an unflattering silhouette, but it was nothing a belt couldn’t fix. After cinching my waist with this blue one, I couldn’t resist adding more blue with teal shoes and, of course, this rather empty bag.

If you haven’t already, please check out this post and submit a question via a comment. This is your chance to ask me absolutely anything about moving to and living in a small Mexican beach town. Answers will be posted next week! 

9 comments:

Becca said...

I see no skin issues here. And I creepily investigated. So stop worrying - I bet the townsfolk are barely scoping out your complexious, they're probably like "who's that sassy gringa with the short hair and the great outfits?!" Also - you're not using your purses? You should probably just send that one to me for safe keeping. Because I like it a lot.

Carrie said...

You look so cute in this. The blue/green plaid combo is perfect on you and I love the knotted belt. I see zero skin issues and encourage you to throw caution to the wind and live it up in your last weeks in Mexico. GO BIG!! You look great!

xo,
Carrie

terramcbride said...

I know not everything shows in photos (like my varicose veins and sometimes a blemish or two) but I have to say, one of my first reactions looking through your photos before reading was wow... that blue with your bronzed skin looks amazing. So from where I sit, you have not a thing to feel self-conscious about. You look fantastic!

Erin said...

I like the new commenting system. And your outfit :)

Ashley said...

I have to agree with Becca, I don't see this skin issue you keep talking about. So I bet no one else sees it either and it's one of those things that seems like the biggest deal to you, but actually is fine. I believe you've stolen this particular shirt from the BF before and I do believe I liked it then and I still like it now! I bet it looks good on Mr. Santina as well. I do love a man in plaid.

xo, Ashley

Santina said...

Thanks, Carrie! And, I love that "go big" spirit! :)

Santina said...

You caught me - I've totally stolen this shirt before. Maybe I should just move it over to my side of the closet!

Santina said...

You can borrow that purse in about...oh, I don't know...two and a half months! I actually stored all but three of my bags before leaving Portland (all the nicest ones), and I was surprised at how many friends offered to take care of them while I was away. Ha!

Vanessa said...

I don't tend to wear shorts, and I have a hard time showing my legs. I'll just be very honest I am pale, and I have some stretch marks from when I was in elementary school I grew too fast. I should have talked to my mother about what my body was doing but I was young, and I didn't know what was happening. I seem to be the only one who notices them but I still have a hard to wearing shorts.
My Heart Blogged

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...