The big 1-0-0!

| |






November 20, 2010 

Shirt: Forever 21
Shorts: J. Crew
Necklace: J. Crew
Sandals: Gap


Can you believe this my one hundredth post? Neither can I! In honor of the occasion, I thought I’d share five things that I’ve learned from blogging:


5. Whether done as a full-time job or not, blogging is a job. I totally underestimated the effort required to maintain a blog. I have to say that all of those fashion bloggers, who I admired for quite some time before starting my own, make it look really easy. It’s not. Once I started Style by Santina, the number of hours spent sleeping seemed to decrease while the number of hours spent on a computer increased. I hate anything that fucks with my sleep, but I can honestly say that blogging is totally worth it. Just buy a good concealer.
4. Camera shy? Get over it. I haven’t always been so willing to step in front of the camera. There is just something so unappealingly permanent about a photo. It forever cements a certain moment in time and something about that kinda makes me feel like I’m suffocating. I’ve learned to get over it though, mostly because only people I am really comfortable with take my picture (think: boyfriend and best friend). Of course, the number of times that people will stop and watch us take outfit pics astounds me…and try as I may, I’m quite sure I will never be able to carry on as though no one else is there.
3. Blogging is not a competition. I can admit that I am a very competitive person. What can I say? I like to win. While I think it’s a quality that has mostly served me well, it can also make me very self-critical. At first, it was very challenging not to feel as though I was in competition with other personal style bloggers. It didn’t take long for me to realize that there was nothing productive in thinking like that. Rather than comparing myself to others and picking at my flaws, I look to my favorite bloggers for inspiration that extends far beyond the clothes I wear.
2. Leave a comment! Everyone loves ‘em. One of the biggest mistakes I made early on was not replying to comments and not commenting on other blogs. One of the easiest ways to get more traffic (and more comments) is to reach out and comment on other blogs. Granted, I’m a numbers girl and I love diving into the stats behind my blog, but it’s even more surprising to find out who is actually reading. I never really thought anyone but friends would read Style by Santina, so I always click through profiles to learn a little more about my readers.
1. People aren’t all assholes. Friendship is probably the most surprising outcome to blogging. I’ve encountered people who I certainly consider friends despite having never met. When I was forced to take a hiatus from blogging (after my camera and laptop were stolen), I truly missed staying engaged in the blogging community. It’s an odd relationship one forges with other bloggers; I see these people nearly every day albeit via outfit pictures and stay connected through comments and e-mails. In some respects, I am more in touch with other bloggers than people I consider close friends in real life.

Do you have a blog? What have you learned?

6 comments:

Fashion Butter said...

Ha! Loved number 5.

Shannon said...

I try to blog 5 days a week, but only commit to outfit posts on Fridays (Fashion Friday, Yay!). I have found too, that people are very willing to stop and take pictures for me when they see me randomly posing on the sidewalk with my tripod. (one of my goals was to get better with tripod photos, so I always tell them it's a project for photography class...) Blogging is hard, but I love the commitment. I love to go back and read old posts and especially when I crack myself up with what I've written. Lastly, my mom doesn't have internet, so last year, I printed my blog in book form and it's a cool keepsake.

PS: we're going to Cabo in a couple weeks and I can't wait to be as tan as you :) It's supposed to snow in PDX tonight.

daer0n said...

Great post! I totally agree about maintaining a blog. I used to have another fashion blog and found it too hard to maintain and ended up deleting it for lack of time and also, inspiration.

I have found love for fashion and blogging once more and have discovered a thousand and more awesome blogs, and I love reading them and looking at the outfits that they will put together and I find so much inspiration on that.

I have started a blog again but find it a little bit too difficult to document my outfits and sometimes don't feel like it if I am having a "I feel heavy day", also because my kids don't leave me any time for that and I would rather just visit blogs, admire and comment on their outfit posts most of the time, and blog about the stuff that I love.

I recently discovered your blog at Morgan and Lua...found it to be a great blog and decided to follow via bookmark, I love your relaxed, cute, casual and very chic sense of style.

You look great by the way, great photos also!

Becca [Free Honey] said...

If I didn't want to congratulate you, I'd boycott this post on principal. You're tan and I'm jealous. Congrats on the big 1-0-0. I'm so glad you started blogging so we were able to become internet (soon to be IRL) friends! I'm very excited for the next 100.

Erin said...

Congrats, Santina. Style by Santina is the best, and I'm happy you have pushed through and kept it going despite the hurdles life threw at you.

jemina said...

Dearie, how radiant you look, I LOVE your top and your necklace is so pretty. Btw, Happy 100th post, and I LOVE your 5 things 'confession' about blogging, and I definitely agree with all of your points. Thanks darling, you bring so much sun shine not only in this post but in every post of your blog.
In full admiration and LOVE, HUGS & KISSES :)
Jemina (mwah...mwah...) xoxo :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...