Back in black

| |





November 14, 2010

Dress: Kensie (Sloan Boutique, Portland)
Slip Dress: Sloan Boutique, Portland
Necklace: J. Crew
Shoes: MIA (Nordstrom Rack)

I have a confession to make: I’ve actually owned this dress for more than a year (way more than a year) and only just wore it for the first time. While I usually can’t wait to wear a new purchase, it’s not that unusual for me to wait a few months before wearing something. I found many forgotten items while packing up my house in Portland and ended up packing quite a few of them.

The loose knit of this dress makes it impossible to wear without something underneath, so I paired it with a black jersey slip dress. In retrospect, I wish I had worn something brighter underneath to have a little color peaking through the dress…not sure if I actually have something that would work, but I will keep my eyes peeled when I finally finish unpacking. I haven’t worn much black since arriving in Mexico, bypassing one of my go-to colors for brighter, more beach inspired ones. Returning to black felt more formal than I remembered it being in a city, so I decided to play up that vibe with a pair of gold pointy toe flats. To finish it off I added this ribbon necklace, which is knotted with gold chains and rhinestones.

The reactions this look elicited made me laugh. Everyone thought I was sooooooo dressed up! A black dress, closed toe shoes, oh my! I really can’t imagine what they would think if they saw me in a look I would consider “dressed up”!

11 comments:

merl said...

why oh WHY can't I rock a short pixie do?!?1 they look so fucking adorable on everyone else [including you].. maybe I'll try out a wig before buzzing my hurr. I am a simple but sassy woman, and this outfit is in my 'win' list.

Becca [Free Honey] said...

Look at you. Why does everything look so awesome with your tan. No, I'm serious - let's make an agreement. Stop going to the beach and I'll bring you down some bagels. You're making me get a complex about my pasty winter skin!

Also, word on twitter is that tomorrow is your 100th post? Look at you, you old pro!

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

Haha, well I think you look more dressed up then is your Mexican usual here! Your haircut is adorable, very Edie Sedgwick/Mia Farrow. The short hair must be so good in the heat too. I could never pull it off which is why I so enjoy living vicariously through your haircuts!

xoxo, Ashley

Erin said...

I cant believe you can wear anything other than flip flops in that climate! When I travel to the tropics, a pair of non-beat up black haviannas is usually as fancy as I get.

Your hair looks fabulous :)

jemina said...

You look wonderful in black my dear, it sets a contrast with your platinum hair, but best of all, I LOVE your smile!!!

Kisses darling
XOXO
J

Nickie Frye said...

Wow, you are so pretty! Very few women can pull off that type of hair style & look elegant & feminine. Love it!

this free bird said...

Cute, cute, Ka-YOOT dress!! I can't believe you haven't worn it before, and you neeeed to wear it again soon. Looks great on you!!

ps-did you recently move from Portland to Mexico? You've gotta be loving that weather and pace of life. sigh

Laura said...

love those shoes!

www.adventuresindressingmyself.blogspot.com

andrea k (blonde bedhead) said...

Great dress! Surprised you haven't worn it sooner! It's so cute! And those flats are so cute too!

Laura said...

love those shoes!

www.adventuresindressingmyself.blogspot.com

merl said...

why oh WHY can't I rock a short pixie do?!?1 they look so fucking adorable on everyone else [including you].. maybe I'll try out a wig before buzzing my hurr. I am a simple but sassy woman, and this outfit is in my 'win' list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...