No more rain, please!

| |


I do apologize for the lack of posts this past (rather tumultuous) week. Since the last one, so much has happened. The good news is that we quickly found and moved into a long term rental! While the house is in need of a bit more cleaning, it’s a good size (two bedrooms and bathrooms) and it has an amazing view of the ocean, both surf breaks, and the mountains. The bad news is that it has been raining almost constantly since we moved in. Of course, rain is expected in the rainy season, but, according to several local friends, there hasn’t been rain like this in over fifteen years. The rain has caused destruction here: the river has overflowed; taking homes and cars with it; erosion is causing palm trees to fall and walls to collapse; landslides have left roads impassable. The only other time I have seen such excessive rain was in Sumatra but there was no resulting devastation. It’s sad to see this usually carefree beach town in shambles. There’s much less talk of wave conditions and friendly banter and more often than not conversations begin with “is your house okay?”

When I last saw this river in April, it was barely more than a foot wide. With the excessive rains, it just continues to grow, slowly taking down whatever lies on the edge of its banks. Not only have homes been completely swept away, but the main bridge into town has collapsed.



We are fortunate to be in a house located near the top of a hill, so we don’t have water running around the perimeter or through our house. This one, which is on the path up to our house, has been completely destroyed. A house just above it collapsed, and the debris and water from the pool ran into it. It appears as though the falling debris took a palm tree down, which also landed on the house.


If the rain continues, I fear for what else might happen. While I don’t personally feel in danger at this point, it’s scary and sad to see this happening. Many of our local friends are without homes. Each day we hear stories of people who left everything behind and watched their home swept away. I’m amazed at the positive attitudes of everyone here. People who have lost everything are simply happy that there haven’t been any reports of deaths and seem to have relatively little concern about their material losses. I’d like to say I would react the same way if a similar situation had occurred while I was living in Portland, but I’m not so sure I would. I hope this positively helps quickly rebuild all that was lost in a town where the economy largely depends on tourism.

3 comments:

erin said...

Thank you for posting these pictures. I don't even know what to say; I feel so bad for all the people who have lost so much, and I am inspired by their positivity.

Collette Osuna said...

Im happy to hear that you were able to find a place....

Statements in Fashion

Ashley said...

I'm glad you and your bf are all right! Here's hoping the rain stops ASAP!! My thoughts are with your new community - this is such a scary and sad situation.

xoxo, Ashley

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...