A long overdue explanation....

| |


September 28, 2010


After a quiet few weeks I thought it was time for me to explain my sudden blogging hiatus. I wish I could blame it on lazy beach days spent sunning myself and surfing, but sadly, that isn´t the case. My house was broken into and the laptop and camera were among the stolen items. As anyone would imagine, maintaining a personal style blog is impossible in the absence of those two essentials. The following weeks have been some of the most difficult of my life. Coming home to find what was left of my belongings strewn about the house was an extremely violating experience. I can´t say that I will ever be the same, and processing this event has been very challenging. Suddenly, I´m suspicious of everyone I encounter. Seeing someone laughing while looking in my direction makes me wonder if that´s the person who stole so much from me. Is he laughing at the sight of the girl who he has seen in countless photos on his new camera and laptop? (Creepy, right?) The extent of the loss reaches far beyond the stolen material items. I am simply not the same person anymore. The thought of someone walking into my home and, in an hour, stealing so many things for which I worked so hard and saved for months to be able to buy makes me violently angry. Then there is my blog, which I worked so hard to create and, at the risk of sounding incredibly lame, something for which I really pushed myself far outside of my comfort zone. One of the things I looked forward to most about my time off from work was enhancing Style by Santina and reaching out and networking with other bloggers, and now I don´t know when or if that will ever happen. There were also items that meant so much more to me in terms of sentimental value that could never be replaced. Memories instilled in certain necklaces and rings that far exceed their cost. One of the worst parts of this experience is questioning everyone, even people I consider friends, and never knowing if anyone really gives a shit about the Gringos who had nearly everything stolen from them.

My boyfriend and I are still trying to decide what to do. In the meantime we have moved into a more secure house, not that there´s anything really left to steal. We need to decide if we can move on from this event. Is it possible to feel safe again and not like a walking target simply because of the color of our skin? Despite the perception of Americans, we are not rich and it will be difficult to replace all that was lost, especially at a time when we are not working and slowly chipping away at the funds reserved for what should have been a relaxing break from the real world.

I am not ready to give up on Style by Santina, and I thank all of you who are still checking back for a new post. I have a few guest posts planned, so please don´t give up on me yet! Your support means so much more than I can express. The offers communicated to me via Twitter from people who I´ve never actually met have truly touch my heart at a time when it´s easy to lose faith in humanity.

If you are interested in being a guest on Style by Santina, please contact me at: stylebysantina@gmail.com.

10 comments:

Grit and Glamour said...

I can't imagine how horrible this has all been...moving, taking a risk, floods and rain, the robbery...it's a LOT to process. I feel for you, sugar. I'm glad you're not giving up, though. Whether you stay or move back doesn't matter...all that matters is you tried. We're here for you!

♥ V
http://www.gritandglamour.com
twitter: @gritandglamour

K said...

I am so sorry you've had to go through this! I'm so happy to hear you're not going to let it stop you from doing things you love. I know it's going to be hard to move past this but know that we're here to help you and support you. Happy thoughts coming your way!

Closet Fashionista said...

Oh no!! I am so sorry about the break in!!! That happened to my cousin a few years ago so I know what you mean about feeling violated. But at least you were not harmed and are okay! :(

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

This has been heartwrenching to hear about. I can't even really imagine how you guys must feel. But do know that sometimes things happen, horrible things, and someday you'll be able to look back on this whole thing and realize what you've learned and what's become of this.

And don't give up on your blog - it's one thing that can never be stolen from you. (That didn't sound so corny until it was written out, but it's true. So I'm leaving it.)

xoxo, Ashley

Becca [Free Honey] said...

Ugh my insides are twisting uncomfortably just thinking about putting myself in your shoes. You are so strong!!! Just keep swimming (nemo reference? Bueller?). I hope you know that you can shoot me an email to vent or yell or ask for a favor or anything that's needed. I'm all over a guest post. Just get me the details!!

the Citizen Rosebud said...

I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune. I can totally relate: you work hard and some things just can't be replaced. I wish you the best of luck, and am glad you're not giving up!

Hang in there, Santina. You will triumph.
-Bella Q
ps: I would totally love to guest blog for you!
citizenrosebud@ymail.com

lifeofadoctorswife said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the break in - it sounds awful. Hang in there.

lifeofadoctorswife said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the break in - it sounds awful. Hang in there.

Becca [Free Honey] said...

Ugh my insides are twisting uncomfortably just thinking about putting myself in your shoes. You are so strong!!! Just keep swimming (nemo reference? Bueller?). I hope you know that you can shoot me an email to vent or yell or ask for a favor or anything that's needed. I'm all over a guest post. Just get me the details!!

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

This has been heartwrenching to hear about. I can't even really imagine how you guys must feel. But do know that sometimes things happen, horrible things, and someday you'll be able to look back on this whole thing and realize what you've learned and what's become of this.

And don't give up on your blog - it's one thing that can never be stolen from you. (That didn't sound so corny until it was written out, but it's true. So I'm leaving it.)

xoxo, Ashley

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...